Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

How do you treat a falllen crest in a Welsh section A stallion?

How do you treat a falllen crest in a Welsh section A stallion? He is not currently overweight having lost weight over winter .
He was fine last year and has never had laminitis or any illness.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about your stallion's fallen crest.I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.In order to help me help you better, I'll need a little more information. To start with, please tell me:How long has he had this problem?Are you willing to shave his mane?Are you able to upload of a photo of his crest?I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Approx 4 month. Would prefer not to shave his mane unless this will help- how would it help?
Sorry I don't have a photo.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.
Glad you're there. Shaving the mane or giving it a good undercut and combing it over the other side are common remedies that people often try to treat a fallen crest. Unfortunately, the bot***** *****ne is this:There are dozens of different treatments that people suggest to manage this problem, but the bot***** *****ne is that most of the time treatment is unsuccessful. I'm sorry I don't have better news for you. The fact remains that the actual cause of the problem isn't known and is assumed to be at least partially genetic. That's good in that it means you didn't do anything to cause this with his nutrition or weight, but the bad news is that it's largely out of your control to fix it. Once that ligament stretches out, it is not expected to go back. There are still lots of things you can spend some time trying, however. It doesn't hurt to try, but it's best to not expect success. So sorry I don't have better news for you. Would you like to hear some of the different suggestions people attempt?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.
I feel terrible delivering only bad news to you. I want to emphasize that this happens to all kinds of horses in all kinds of circumstances. It's not the result of anything you did wrong.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.
Because this is so common, it gets discussed in a lot of horse forums. A lot of horse owners throw around a lot of different ideas for things they like to try to solve a fallen crest, but in the veterinary community the consensus is it never goes away. You can read a typical thread of horse owners discussing their attempts at treatment here:http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?/topic/128575-fallen-crest-advice-is-it-hopeless/
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Please let me know some suggestions to try.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.
Absolutely. Please read through the suggestions in the link I provided above. Several of the people posting mention things they've tried.Are you able to open the link?
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.
In the scientific community we still do not know the exact genetics of this conformational flaw, but (at the risk of delivering more bad news to you), the consensus is that horses who have developed a fallen crest should not be used for breeding. Many of the techniques that people will use can minimize the appearance, but the underlying weakness in the crest remains. Another potential silver lining in all of this is that the vast majority of horses who have a fallen crest do not suffer any medical problems from it. It is purely conformational. Again, I'm sorry to deliver bad news, but I felt obliged to give you an honest answer. Thank you for using our website.