Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog keeps pulling her fur out I have been told it is not

My dog keeps pulling her fur out I have been told it is not mange could you please give me some advice on this as it seems to be happening every year around spring to Autumn and I give her a bath every 2 weeks to try and sort it but that don't seem to help
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.
Hello and welcome, This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now. I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls } Regards, *****
Hello again Stephen, I have worked out an answer for you below ... I agree with you that this is unlikely to be any form of infectious skin disease since the likes of sarcoptic mange will just get steadily worse and not come and go at different times of the year. What you are dealing with is likely to be seasonal allergic skin disease, this is a not uncommon situation in dogs. Such dogs are often allergic to inhaled pollen which explains the seasonal aspect, but other factors and allergens are also possible. 1. Fleas are more common in spring and summer so some cases of seasonal allergic skin disease are due to an allergy to a small protein in the saliva of the flea which the flea passes when it bites. Stringent flea control is therefore a must not only on your dog but in the house as well. Where a dog is hypersensitive only a couple of bites may be enough to trigger a massive skin reaction, it is good practice to really control fleas properly whatever skin condition your dog is suffering from.2. It can also be a mixed allergy to such things as components of the diet as well as pollen so consider a hypo allergenic diet, your vet will advise and will stock these but you can also get them from better pet stores. If you go down this road your dog will have to be fed only this and water and it may take six weeks for this approach to show any signs of success. Even with seasonal allergies this can help.3. Other allergies are more difficult such as to pollen or house dust mites, because you can never get rid of the actual allergen these dogs can be maintained on a variety of drugs such as antihistamines steroids or atopica. If this is the type of disease you are dealing with then if you stop the drugs the disease will often come straight back so often a low maintenance dose is given once symptoms have been controlled. Antibiotics and antifungal drugs may also be needed in the early stages because of secondary infections.4. Other treatment for skin allergies are possible such as desensitisation. While atopy is the most likely diagnosis be aware that there are other possibilities so sometime further diagnostic test such as skin biopsy can be useful. 5. Finally there is some degree of evidence that evening primrose oil can help where dogs have allergic skin disease. You can get this via your vet or through human health shops, in which case just use a dose on a pro rata basis between your dog's weight and an an average human weight of say 180 pounds. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you. Regards, ***** ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Hello again Stephen, Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated. Please let me know how things go ... Kindest regards, *****