Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

I have a 10 yr old Doberman . About 2 weeks ago she started

Customer Question

I have a 10 yr old Doberman Bitch. About 2 weeks ago she started with what we thought was a cough but it was like between a cough and regurgitation noise. We took her to RSPCA Veterinary clinic who couldn't see any blockage she was eating and Drinking well so started her on a course of Antibiotics..
The cough started to calm down and became les frequent it also changed from a cough to a straight regurgitation noise but with it sge started to wake up after only a few hrs panting like she hsd just chased a Rabbit in searing heat her body and head became very hot, agajn the vet seemed to think because she was eating and drinking and not bringing anything back up that this would probably settle down eventually.
Then she has developed a wheezing when she breaths and for the 1st time in her life left some of her Tea also her breathing is deep and laboured like a also with this wheeze. The only way to bring her down from this panting is to give her constant reassurance stroking and massaging her tummy chest and throat. But even then her breathing doesn't return to normal its still like a deep but less dramatic as a full panting . She only saw the RSPCA VET yesterday and she never seesbher like this as she is full of adrenaline due to the visit and effort she puts in
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The noise she makes now has a definite rasp to it its almost like a loud burp but clearly hurts her when it happens
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She has bee operated on in the past to remove a tumour and she developed a very large growth on her chest on her right around the top of her front leg joint down to where her chest curls round under. She has had this for many years with no apparent problems it just effects the way she puts her leg forward to walk but never showed any discomfort with it her foot just turns in a little to accommodate the lump
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She is riddled with small tumours around her boddy like little bumps of fat under her skin
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 months ago.
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Did the veterinarian do any testing like xrays?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She doesn't even have access to an endoscope
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Its RSPCA as we are both disabled and can't afford Yorkshire vets any more
1- Did she listen to her heart and lungs with a stethoscope?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes
Did she say her lungs and heart sounds were normal?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes she did an external exam of her stomach
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Friend, there are many different types of medical disorders that would affect or cause the symptoms that you are describing in Lucy. The way you describe how she is breathing and the history is consistent with a condition called "Acquired Laryngeal Paralysis." Basically what happens is that the airflow through the larynx is affected because the larynx is partially paralyzed. The degree of symptoms and frequency is determined by the extend of the dysfunction. Could there be other causes? Yes. It is also important to rule out disorders affecting the lungs or heart like cardiomyopathies or tumors. I do understand your financial restriction. Unfortunately Lucy does have a medical condition that would require some testing to determine the exact underlying cause. Ideally we start with taking xrays of the thorax and examine the airway while the patient is sedated. If we confirm that the patient has laryngeal paralysis we can manage medically with the use of anti inflammatory medication and restricting exercise. But, at some point surgery should be consider to correct the problem. In your case, I would try to look for a low cost vet for at the very least for a chest xray to make sure lungs and heart are okay. Then, the vet will sedate her and literally look down her throat to make sure larynx is working okay. In the meantime I would try to restrict her activity as this generally will provoke or worsen symptoms. My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So is there anything that could have caused this condition to raise its head at this late stage of her life like contact with weed killer , Bed mites or atmospherical changes like the toxic dust cloud that hit britain recently and caused problems for asthma sufferers
If she does have laryngeal paralysis the acquired form can occur as a result of: Trauma, tumors affecting the laynx, nerve disorders, idiopathic (unknown), etc. to name a few causes. So, treatment is not only directed at the larynx to open the airway but also the underlying cause. For this reason it is important to have some testing done. Please reply if you have additional questions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well she recently jumped from the Bed lost her footing and couldn't put weight on her back end for a few days and still hasn't quite recovered from it and is still on pain meds also she has been overweight for such a long time due to steroid treatments for von willerbhrams and her body has always produced milk due to a condition where her body acted as if she was pregnant and she lost 25 kilos this year but still weighs in at 51 kilos
If she is overweight it could play a role in the way she is breathing. Consider a weight reduction program like changing her diet to w/d prescription food. It will help if she looses weight.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes like i said she has lost nearly a quarter of her original body weight and is still losing it but even at her highest weight she never had any signs of any breathing problems
Then, this further supports my initial assessment.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I found a large swelling in here neck and on massaging you could hear gurgling noise and like water passing down a drain so I continued and the swelling steadily reduced she was not swollowing like when you burp but burping sounds were coming from here mouth