Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My guinea pig had both ovaries removed yesterday as they both

my guinea pig had both ovaries removed yesterday as they both had big cysts on and she was unwell with it ,since iv brought her home shes looking better than she did before the op ,the only problem is that i cant get her antibiotics from the vet down her (shes a very fussy pig doesnt like sweet things wont eat fruit etc)and trying seems to be stressing her to the point she wont eat for ages after any attempts whereas shes eating fine during attempts ,my question is really do i keep trying or will she be ok without it
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help. In regards ***** ***** question, her need for the antibiotics depends on how smoothly the surgery went. If her vet is worried that she has a fever, her abdomen was open for quite a while or there was a complication with the gut, then she does need them. Otherwise, if they have just dispensed them as a precaution, you can choose not to use them. Or just further to your attempts to give them to a cavy that doesn't like sweets, you can consider mixing it into veggie baby food to syringe feed. Or you can ring her vet about injectable options. Our main antibiotic for this species does come in a once daily injectable form and she could visit daily for this or they could potentially even show you how to do that if they did feel these were wholly necessary for Sherry. Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi thanks for your reply the vet said the op went well and she has no swelling in fact apart from the shaved bits she looks and seems better than she was before the op ,shes eating well and not draining the water bottle as she was before the op shes also moving about more and better than she was pre op
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im just concerned that shes a pig that doesnt like being handled( shes a rescue and hasnt really been handled much) and that im putting her through alot of stress when she looks and seems really well
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,In that case, these isnt a specific indication for antibiotics. So while we'd want to check with her vet once they are open, you could choose to hold off over the weekend. Of course, any pain relief she is on should be continued.Best wishes,Dr. B
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she has a post op check on tuesday but i will try and get her seen on monday thanks for your help