How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Andy Your Own Question
Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 30035
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. Andy is online now

Our JRT has eaten approx. 50g of white chocolate in the past

Resolved Question:

Our JRT has eaten approx. 50g of white chocolate in the past 2 hours. I cannot find Theobromine on the ingredients. Should we be concerned?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Fortunately, white chocolate is not nearly as toxic and milk chocolate or dark chocolate (even worse). However, with it already being over 2 hours, it is too late to induce vomiting (ideally we induce vomiting within 1 hour of ingestion of chocolate). So, at this point, I don't believe there is a concern for the more serious side effects of chocolate toxicity like seizures and heart arrhythmias. But!You definitely still need to monitor for any vomiting or diarrhea. IF any symptoms were to present, basic veternary supportive care should be all that you need. 50 grams is only 1.7 ounces, which is very minimal especially with it being white chocolate. You may observe nothing at all. Hope that information helpsDr. Andy
Dr. Andy and 2 other Vet Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr Andy. We will keep an eye on him.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Dr. Andy

Related Vet Questions