Dr. Andy
Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  2003 Graduate
14008320

Our JRT has eaten approx. 50g of white chocolate in the past

Our JRT has eaten approx. 50g of white chocolate in the past 2 hours. I cannot find Theobromine on the ingredients. Should we be concerned?
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Fortunately, white chocolate is not nearly as toxic and milk chocolate or dark chocolate (even worse). However, with it already being over 2 hours, it is too late to induce vomiting (ideally we induce vomiting within 1 hour of ingestion of chocolate). So, at this point, I don't believe there is a concern for the more serious side effects of chocolate toxicity like seizures and heart arrhythmias. But!You definitely still need to monitor for any vomiting or diarrhea. IF any symptoms were to present, basic veternary supportive care should be all that you need. 50 grams is only 1.7 ounces, which is very minimal especially with it being white chocolate. You may observe nothing at all. Hope that information helpsDr. Andy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr Andy. We will keep an eye on him.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Dr. Andy