Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I hope you can help my female cockatiel pip has a swolen and

HI I hope you can help my female cockatiel pip has a swolen and infaled nostrail on her right side as well as what look like large scales underneathe the eye on the same side she is diabetic and a few weeks ago had an attack of hypoglycemia as well as abnormal droppings these have returned mostly to a normal state but the nostrail and scales worrie me there is no avian vet near me that i can ask for help and my local vet has no idea with most bird related illness
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We don't have many avian vets on this site. There are two main causes of that swollen nostril. The most common is an accumulation of nasal discharge that has dried and is distending the nostril. That discharge would need to be manually removed which is done with a small moistened cotton tip applicator stick which essentially reams out the nostril. This may be found in conjunction with a vitamin A deficiency and respiratory infection - particularly because Pip is diabetic and more prone to infections. I'm concerned that the large scales underneath her eye also indicate vitamin A deficiency and skin infection. What has Pip's diet consisted of, please? Can you upload a photo(s) of Pip's face to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Pip is on vitamin drops to supplment her diet that have vitamin a included the name of the drops is bsp vitamin drops they were recomended to help with her diabetes the rest of her diet is sunflower seeds mixed with cockteail mix for a full diet as well as a mixed seed bar with vitamins,
Thank you for the excellent photo! I can see that the nostril is occluded. What I can't see from here is if the nostril is occluded with dried discharge or tissue. Hypertrophied (swollen but non-neoplastic (non-cancerous)) tissue as seen with vitamin A deficiency would be unlikely considering her diet and so I have to add neoplastic disease (skin cancer) such as squamous cell carcinoma in an elderly cockatiel to my list of differential diagnoses. I understand your logistical constraints but I see no alternative to having Pip's vet perform a hands-on exam. Pragmatically speaking, there's no treatment for a cancer in her nose or under the eye and so any therapy would likely be a broad spectrum antibiotic administered directly into Pip's beak in an attempt to remove a secondary bacterial infection contributing to the inflammation.Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thank you for all your help I've booked pip in with a local vet who will do their best to give her a complete check over and find out what the cause of this is based on your information and recommendation.
You're welcome. I'm pleased to hear this. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.