Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My dog has been sexually aroused by a weeks . He is tender

Customer Question

My dog has been sexually aroused by a bitch for 3 weeks . He is tender at the base of his penis and does not cock his leg when he pees . and only bends his back slightly when he poos . He is eating well but is not wanting to walk very far.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. From what you have described, I worry that Billy is suffering from an unstable disc in his back from an injury or an aggravated arthritis that is causing these odd symptoms including the pain when he is arroused by the female. This is very common in older dogs because of their conformation and age related issues. Since Billy does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for his pain. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, he will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when Billy jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as Billy is eating, is to give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing his pain and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow him to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine him to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****