Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My puppy bulldog has a sore eye I think they call it red eye

Customer Question

My puppy bulldog has a sore eye I think they call it red eye I have been bathing it with boiled water cooled down its not bothering him what else can I do
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. How long has he had a red eye?Does the eyeball look enlarged, cloudy or hazy?Any discharge? If so, what color?Any chance he caught it on something (ie grass, plants, a cat claw, etc) or got something (ie dust, dirt, etc) in it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is a red lump on his left eye eye is a bit sticky a bit of green grunge in morning when he gets up . The guy I got him of had him in kennels so I'm wondering if he has got it from there
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He has had it 3 days now
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you,Do you mean he has a red lump right on the eye ball itself? Or is the pink tissue around the eye swollen?Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have sent photo I hope you can help Like I said it's not bothering him it doesn't look nice
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you,The photo is good. Even though it is a wee bit blurry, it looks like George has a "cherry eye". This is a common condition we see in pups where the cartilage inside the 3rd eyelid gets inverted causing the tissue to stick up. On some occasions, we can also see secondary ulcers or issues with the eye itself if the protrusion impedes eyelid closure or they get something stuck between the eye and the tissue.In this case, unfortunately flushing the eye won't be of real benefit. It may keep the snotty discharge (which is a sign of bacteria starting to cause infection) at bay, but we tend to need to surgically repair the third eyelid to settle this for them. And while he is a bit young, your vet could potentially do for him and neuter him at the same time to keep costs down and reduce the amount of anaesthesias he needs at this age. Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you so much do you know how much it cost for operation
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
You are very welcome,It will depend on your location, the practice, and whether a specialist does the procedure. Generally speaking, it can be between £200-400. Still, you can request an estimate from his vet before treatment and can also phone local practices to get an idea of their costs before you decide to have it addressed.All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )