Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My dog died from anaesthetic. s blood pressure dropped and

Customer Question

my dog died from anaesthetic. his blood pressure dropped and heart stopped but cpr brought him back
he seemed to recover and 2 hourly updates from the vet were hopeful he'd recover
he passed on however
he had 3 operations previously with the same anaesthetic.
the vet said his reactions all through anaesthetic were strange.
I was too upset to order a necropsy
any ideas what killed my beloved frien?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so so sorry to hear about your precious Herbie...I know how devastating this can be when you love them so much! We never really know what happens when giving the anesthesia even if blood work was done on Herbie prior to this procedure. There are so many physiological issues that can be present without any of us knowing that can affect the anesthesia and cause these life threatening problems for your Herbie. It would have been better if a Necropsy could have been performed but even then, you may never know what has caused this, I am so sorry to say. Allergic reactions, metabolic abnormalities and other serious problems can cause this and it is hard for us to predict that especially since Herbie had this same anesthesia before. I do know, however, that your vet did all they could to help your precious Herbie and this can happen to the best of veterinarians.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your reply. I forgot to say that my Herbie did wake up after the operation was aborted, so I assume he didn't die of a heart attack. He seemed to be making a recovery and I was so shocked when the vet called to say he passed away some 10 hours after the anaesthetic. Is the fact he woke up after the anaesthetic indicative of anything?
I'm sorry to badger you but I'm devastated and need to know if he suffered. Him waking up really has me worried he may have been so scared to face death alone.
Thank you again for responding.
Rob

No worries, Rob...I certainly understand your devastation. I would have felt the same way and trying to find the cause would help you through this terrible time. Since the anesthesia was apparently going bad even before the procedure was performed, this means that there was something internally that was reacting to the anesthesia....it is hard to know without the Necropsy. There was no "heart attack", Rob...something reacted poorly to precious Herbie's system that no one could have predicted. I am sure that Herbie was not aware of the impending doom that he was facing since the effects of the anesthesia remains for quite some time even if he was awake. I know this is hard to take but I believe that Herbie was still under the influence of the drugs even after 10 hrs, Rob. Does that help? All of us vets face this situation at some time in their career and it is as devastating to us almost as much as what you are feeling.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr. Loretta. It helps to know that Herbie was still 'zonked' enough to not know what was coming.
Take care
Rob.

You are very welcome, Rob. You know that Herbie loved you very much and knew you would have done anything to help him. I feel that he is in a better place now....

Hang in there, Rob...I know personally how hard this can be.

Thank you so much, Rob, for your kind rating and generous bonus. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I know Herbie loved you very much!

Have a wonderful day!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Dr. Loretta. I've been having panic attacks concerning what I should have done about my lovely Herbie and if I let him down.
I've just called my Vet and they said that they don't do any pre-anaesthetic checks on Dogs under 7 years of age and since Herbie was only 5 they didn't do so. I'm devastated again. I let him down by not asking about getting him checked and having blood tests. He only went in for x-rays and was sedated. When they called to say that they could keep him under and perform surgery I was happy because Herbie got so stressed at visiting the vets that getting the surgery done would save him a future visit and trauma. He trusted me to look after him and It's killing me to think I could have done more.
I'm sorry to pour out my grief on to you.
Take care.

I know how you feel, Rob, but how would you know that testing should be done on an apparently very healthy dog....it is the job of your vet to determine the need for this testing prior to any procedure and since Herbie had done well with other procedure,s there was no reason to worry. You need to forgive yourself, Rob, since you did all you could with the knowledge that you had to care for your precious Herbie and that is all you can do.

I know it is so easy to blame yourself but in reality, we are dealing with a life with many facets of physiological issues that cannot be predicted. There was nothing else you could have done....these things just happen and sometimes we do not know why...

I feel so bad for you, Rob, because I know personally how you can feel responsible...you did all you could for your sweet Herbie and that is all you could have done. Please forgive yourself and know that Herbie loved you very much!!