How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 28439
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now

Dog ate zopiclone tablet

Resolved Question:

Dog ate zopiclone tablet
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Vet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He appears to have swallowed half of a 7.5mg zopiclone tablet. He appears well. He weighs 16kg.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

This hypnotic is well-tolerated by dogs. A one month oral study in dogs involved giving zopiclone six days per week at doses of 0, 6, 24 and 120 mg/kg. Dose-related sedation and hypotonia (loss of muscle tone) of the hind legs were observed. He ingested just 0.23 mg/kg. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou Michael. I could not find any info online. I rang my local vets but he said he could not help unless I rang poisonline for £75. I did not want to induce vomiting as it has been over an hour and the amount was small. Is this drug ever prescribed to dogs now?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

No, I know of no indication for it in dogs. You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thankyou for your help. So I should not worry excessively about this? I will of course keep an eye on him. I just wanted reassurance that he did not need rushing to the emergency vets having taking an overdose of a known toxic poison!
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Sedation is all I would expect. Studies support that he's not in danger. There's always the possibility of an idiosyncratic (peculiar reaction) and so I'm pleased to hear that you'll keep watch on him.

Dr. Michael Salkin and other Vet Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Related Vet Questions