Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My cat has a lump between her eyes. I am told that she has a

My cat has a lump between her eyes. I am told that she has a tumour. However, as she was sneezing last night I cleaned her nostril and found a small tiny piece of black matter which made me think that maybe a piece of grass seed had perhaps lodged in her sinus.
How can you tell if the lump is cancerous or not.? She is eating well and apart from the occasional drop of blood seems to be fine.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has this swelling and the sneezing?

Has her vet done any tests?

Do you think the swelling is getting bigger despite the Metacam?

Has she has snotty (green, yellow) nasal discharge? From one nostril or both?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No, no snotty (green, Yellow nasal discharge. The swelling maybe a little larger, but she is still eating and still very loving.
Can this be a benign tumour.?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

First, I do have to warn you that foreign bodies like grass trapped in the nasal passage do not tend to cause facial swelling just sneezing +/- nasal discharge. Therefore, this isn't likely the cause of the swelling present. Of course, there is a small chance that she could have an abscess if said grass awn was able to migrate into the soft tissues outside the nasal passage or if she has dental disease that has tracked infection to this site. Otherwise, we would need to consider growths and in regards ***** ***** question we would very much need to consider both benign and cancerous ones as both could certainly arise this way.

In that case, the best way to answer our question to which is present would be to have your vet evaluate the lump via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. If they remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If they remove clear fluid, then a cyst would be likely and can be removed (though cosmetic) or drained as needed. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained to tell us what is present, if it is benign or cancerous. And that would dictate how to address this for wee Lucky.

Overall, foreign bodies don't usually cause swelling and therefore we need to be aware that the black material may not be related to could be due to a tumor growing through the nasal bones. Still, the best option at this point would be to have your vet sample this lump to identify its nature so that we can ensure we are treating this as effectively as possible for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.