Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My westie has developed an angry looking growth on the back

Customer Question

My westie has developed an angry looking growth on the back of his front paw , it's red with a black dot in the middle. He won't let me near it . He keeps liking it . It is about 1cm diameter protruding out too , thought it was a sticky bud at first but it's not . Any helpful suggestions to ease my mind before I take him to the vets tomorrow please.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

Can you upload a photo(s) of this growth to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

At 18 months of age, that angry red growth on a leg is likely to represent a benign histiocytoma. Please take a look at this image of one and let me know what you think:

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried to upload a picture I hope you can see it , the one you added is very similar,

Nothing has uploaded. ***@******.*** can help you do this.

If this growth came up very quickly, a histiocytoma is most likely. A histiocytoma is a benign neoplasm of mononuclear cells derived from epidermal Langerhans' cells (wonderful cocktail talk...). It's common in dogs with highest incidence in young adults younger than 4 years of age. It usually manifests as a solitary, rapidly growing, firm, well-circumscribed, erythematous (reddened), raised, alopecic dermal nodule that ranges from 0.5 to 4 cm in diameter. Lesions may be ulcerated and occur most commonly on the head, ear pinnae, and legs. Observation without treatment is reasonable because most lesions regress spontaneously within 3 months. Surgical excision or cryotherapy is curative for lesions that don't regress spontaneously.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow wonderful words !! But reassuring I can go to the vets tomorrow , fairly knowledgeable ! Thank you for your help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ahh I've managed to add a picture

Thank you. Histiocytoma!

I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much I've rated and tipped , so definitely one of those then . Hystiocytoma thingys

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

Yep...histiocytoma.