Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in Small Animal Practice
21779527

I have an 18 yr old Yorkie who broke her leg 6 years ago.

I have an 18 yr old Yorkie who broke her leg 6 years ago. She is fine if left alone but doesn't like being handled and gets into a terrible state going to the vets and bites everyone and gets very distressed. She has always been vaccinated but for the last 2 years we haven't taken her as her mobility is really poor so she only potters around the garden and doesn't go anywhere else.
I have recently lost my fox terrier and have the chance to get an 8 week old puppy fox terrier. She has started her vaccinations but is it safe for her to live with my Yorkie?
Yvonne
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

So, it sounds like your dog has received vaccines for most of her life and it is just the last 2 years that she has not been vaccinated correct? The majority of the things that the vaccines protect against (most importantly, parvo virus) have immunity that last well beyond the expiration of the vaccine. And the older they are, the more vaccines that they have received over their life, the more true this is.

So, I don't think you have anything to fear from your older girl not being vaccinated. There are some things that she could give to the puppy... some intestinal parasites or kennel cough.... but I think that is very unlikely and wouldn't be prevented by having vaccinated her anyway.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions let me know. If not, please don't forget to rate my answer. Best wishes!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help. That puts my mind at rest. 🐶😀
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Good luck with your puppy!