Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 13 year old cat seems to have a blue tinge on side of her

My 13 year old cat seems to have a blue tinge on side of her mouth, her gums and tongue are pink its along one side of her jaw, it looks like a bruise. It's not bothering her and she is eating on both sides of her mouth ok. It's not swollen and she is ok in herself, breathing is ok.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Does she have this discoloration on just one side?

Any history of trauma?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can and post them, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paper clip icon above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, just post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me follow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's just on one side, no history of trauma. She is on tablets for about 3 years for overactive thyroid, she had her bloods done in February and everything was perfect. T4 blood test. Haven't really got a device to take and upload photos.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Now that is a shame that you are not able to. Though based on what you have reported, we’d not be overly worried here. This is because the lack of swelling and discomfort rule out concerns of masses, abscesses, infections, or severe damage. Instead, it is more suggestive of a bruise that may be due to her catching her mouth with her teeth or a claw while grooming. Therefore, as long as its remains not swollen, sore or causing her bother; we’d just want to monitor. If it is just a bruise, these usually will settle and normalize within a few days without any treatment. Of course, if it were to swell or change, we’d want her vet to check the area as she may need a course of antibiotics +/- kitty safe anti-inflammatories to nip this in the bud for her.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** been chewing on some grass outside that is quite sharp, so she may have cut or scraped it on that. I will keep an eye on it and if it swells or bothers her I will take her to vet.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

Grass is quite abrasive, so that could certainly be our culprit. So do monitor for the next few days and hopefully this will just settle for her.

Best wishes,

Dr. B