Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My daughters little dog is a Yorky cross and 3 years old. He

My daughters little dog is a Yorky cross and 3 years old. He has vomiting and blood around the back passage plus runny poop. We are so worried about the vets fee but need help. Do you know what the problem could be?
Dolores
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Dolores, those are important symptoms yet not pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. My primary concern in a miniature breed, however, is a condition called hemorrhagic enteritis which is an umbrella term for both non-infectious and infectious disorders that can cause the vomiting and hematochezia (blood in the stool) you've seen. Parasitic (Giardia, hookworms, whipworms, e.g.), viral (parvovirus, circovirus, e.g.), and bacterial (Clostridium difficile, Clostridium perfringens, Campylobacter, Salmonella, e.g.) infections are of concern. Regardless of the cause, these little dogs can dehydrate and become electrolyte imbalanced quickly when they lose fluid from both ends. It would be prudent to have Snoopy's vet take a look at Snoopy and provide supplemental fluids in the form of either subcutaneous or intravenous therapy. Additional treatment in the form of antiemetic, antacid, and antidiarrheal drugs might be prescribed.

I understand your financial concerns. Be sure to ask for a written estimate before anything is done. Most vets will work with you to provide good care even with financial restrictions present. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I will take him to the vets in the morning.

You're welcome. I'm pleased to hear that Snoopy will be attended to soon. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.