Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My has been itching/biting her belly, legs and armpits month

My ***** ***** has been itching/biting her belly, legs and armpits for past month or so, this happened last year around spring time, just about when hayfever starts to kick in, is she ok taking pollenase?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Poor Mia!

This is very common this time of year and often is pollen related. So, in regards ***** ***** question, if your Pollenase is Chlorphenamine then that is safe to give her. Generally speaking, we tend to treat with 4-8 milligrams every 8-12 hours and this can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We do like to keep the dose low to start since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, these shouldn't be used if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. And if you do find her signs too severe for the antihistamine, then we'd want to speak to her vet about short term treatment with a prescription treatment (ie steroids, Atopica, Apoquel, etc) this time of year.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's great thanks. I will see how she gets on with this. Her eyes seem have gone red and gunky, would this be down to the allergic reaction too?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Both are quite common this time of year with allergies as well. Though if the discharge is snotty (green/yellow) instead of clear, it can be a sign of bacterial infection and would need to be checked and treated by her vet.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.