Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I am going to have a new puppy another Weirmaraner due home

I am going to have a new puppy another Weirmaraner due home in about three to four weeks. The breeder is weaning puppies onto raw food. At first I thought this was a good idea now I am not do sure. I am concerned about salmonella etc and shedding not just for the dog but for myself. I am immune compromised with one kidney and following gastroenteritis now have chronic kidney disease stage 3 caused directly from the gastro. Can you advise me. I am very worried
I wonder about changing her back to kibble when I bring her home but worried it will upset her system so two separate worries really.
Lyn Keys-Massey
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I completely understand and support your concern about your new puppy being fed a raw diet.

Exposure to bacteria from a raw diet (e. coli or salmonella being the two of most concern) is a concern for a healthy individual let alone someone such as yourself.

Raw diets can be extremely dangerous for an immunocompromised individual. The trouble is that even if you successfully convert her to a commercially prepared dog food, and this would need to be done slowly to avoid gastrointestinal upset and vomiting/diarrhea in her, she can still shed bacteria that could make you sick. Once bacteria are established in the gut it can be tough to rebalance the gut bacteria to a more appropriate population. So even if she appears healthy that doesn't mean that she cannot get you sick. There are chronic shedders of salmonella that appear healthy.

I would urge you to find another puppy if the breeder is unwilling to wean the puppies onto a commercial diet.

Many North American veterinarians feel so strongly about raw food risks that their national association, the AVMA or American Veterinary Medical Association, has come up with a position statement clearly stating the concerns. See this link:

https://www.avma.org/KB/Policies/Pages/Raw-or-Undercooked-Animal-Source-Protein-in-Cat-and-Dog-Diets.aspx

I think that clearly and succinctly states the concerns that you are feeling.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Here is a link to a more carefully worded position statement by the RCVS (Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons), see section 3.2

http://www.rcvs.org.uk/document-library/science-advisory-panel-meeting-may-2014/

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them, thank you, ***** *****