Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My Dog () is 7 yrs old has just been diagnosed diabetic. At

Customer Question

Hello, my Dog (bitch) is 7 yrs old has just been diagnosed diabetic. At first she was very ill we took her to the local PDSA where she was diagnosed and we were told to have her put down as this was a lot of work. We said no we can do it ( I have been diabetic for 40 yrs so I know a thing or two) her blood sugar was well up in the 40 mmo/mol she had ketone's and was kept in for two nights were here sugar level came down to 15. She has all ways been a grazer on dry food with dental sticks one a day.
just come back from the PDSA where her blood was 35 and showing ketone's but they did nothing just said to raise her evening insulin to 5.5 up 0.5 change her food to chappie only two meals a day I am not happy with this treatment it seems wrong to me.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I am very sorry to hear about your lass's diabetic status.

Now in regards ***** ***** concerns, I have to warn you that PDSA is a charity, is over-subscribed, and they often will only be able to offer basic/minimal care for the more intensive endocrine cases (like diabetes, dogs with Cushing's or Addison's disease). In fact, the vets of PDSA only get a monthly allowance for blood work for all their patients no matter how many may need it.

Therefore, if she is diabetic, then their approach isn't surprising. And if they slowly increase her insulin with care and you can keep her eating as normally as possible; then she can be managed in this low maintenance way (as James's Herriot may have done). Though if you do want her managed as we would do so in normally, she will need to either be taken to an RSPCA hospital or a private one. That way she can have a fructosamine blood test done to determine her stability for the past fornight. Or if she is a complicated case, a glucose curve (where samples are taken every few hours during the day to see when her blood glucose peaks and falls in response to her treatment). The insulin is then raised based on those results, we continue home treatment, and this is repeated every few weeks until we find that ideal dose for her.

Overall, their care is not negligent but is basic as they can only afford to do for diabetic charity cases. So, we'd need to consider continuing as you are with the PDSA (perhaps discuss having them show you how to do a blood glucose curve at home for them to interpret for you since you have personal diabetic experience). Otherwise, we'd need to consider about having her seen privately or via the RSPCA if you wanted a more up to date care plan for her.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )