Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My 12 year old spaniel is panting most of the time now. She

My 12 year old spaniel is panting most of the time now. She takes 75mg ventphyllin twice a day following cAnine vestibular disorder that she recovered well from. Her colour is Norma but very red after moderate exercise. Everything Elise is normal.. Should I be worried.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Ventiphylline contains two bronchodilators with similar adverse effects - generally agitation including panting, nervousness, and excitability. Because such drugs aren't helpful when addressing vestibular disorders, I would discontinue the Ventiphyllin and see how she reacts. If there's also a respiratory disorder responsive to such drugs, it would be prudent consulting with her vet prior to doing so. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanla

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have just re read your answer. I don't think the ventphyllin was given for the Cvd, more as a kind of pick me up sort of thing afterwards and presumably the vet would have assessed her as needing it? However, I will take her next week. She is not overexcited or nervous. Thanks for your comments.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I got the name of the drug wrong its vitofyllin!,

Ah! Vitofyllin contains propentofyllin which has the same effect as the theophylline in Ventiphyllin! It's not approved for use in the USA because there are no scholarly studies confirming that it does what it's purported to do. Perhaps a smaller dose would be better tolerated by her.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.