Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog has stolen user lip

My dog has stolen user lip
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dog as a swollen user lip
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Harvey. I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first, if you don't mind:

1. How long has his lip been swollen?

2. Any other noticeable swellings on his face or ears?

3. Is he currently taking any medications?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its has been swollen for about an hour,no more swellings enywere ells and he is not on medication
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the answers to my questions.

The most common cause for an acute swelling of a lip or area of the face/ears is going to be an insect sting or possibly spider bite.

If this were my patient, I'd recommend Diphenhydramine (aka Benadryl here in the States which is available over the counter). The dose would be 1 mg per pound of body weight twice a day. For example, if Harvey weighs 50 pounds, his dose would be 50 mg.

This drug can cause sedation so this shouldn't worry you if he seems more sleepy. There are a few patients who have just the opposite behavior...they can become more agitated or excited but these are in the vast minority.

I would expect that you'd start to see the swelling reduce in size within a few hours if this is what I think it is.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its has been swollen for about an hour,no more swellings enywere ells and he is not on medicationthany you i will keep an eye on him
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

You're more than welcome.

If this is an insect sting or spider bite, then the swelling should resolve on its own over the course of the rest of the day. It would just decrease in size sooner if Diphenhydramine is given, though.

Best of luck with him. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello again.

I'm just checking in on Harvey. Is his lip still swollen? Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi,yes his swollen lip as gone down now.he is just feeling a bit under the weather.thank you steve
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to send me an update about Harvey.

I'm glad to hear that his lip is back to normal although sorry that he is just a bit "off". Hopefully, he'll be back to his normal self tomorrow. Kind regards, Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you ,yes he all back to normal now.thank you very much for your help.s.hardman
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Steve,

Thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

And, thanks for letting me know about Harvey; you must be relieved:) Deb