Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My cat keeps coughing and is very sleepy should I see an

Customer Question

My cat keeps coughing and is very sleepy should I see an emergency vet
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm so sorry that Daisy isn't feeling well. It sounds as if she might have an upper respiratory infection (URI) which is going to be the most common cause for her symptoms. Many of these cats will also be sneezing and some will run mild fevers which is why they're lethargic and don't want to eat.

Typically, I'll suggest that owners treat these patients at home if they're still eating and relatively active. But, I'm somewhat concerned about her constellation of symptoms. I'm worried that she may be in the early phases of something more serious such as pneumonia.

Under the circumstances, I think it may be the wiser move to have her seen at an ER hospital if possible. If this isn't possible, please let me know since I can provide suggestions for you which may help until you can have her seen by your regular vet.

Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I can not get to a vet until the morning although I have got her to eat and drink some more and she has not coughed for a good 40 mins
Please can you send me suggestions for getting through tonight as i can't get her to a vet till the morning
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

I'd be more than happy to. Please give me a few minutes to type up those suggestions.

The fact that you're getting her to eat and drink is a good thing which you'll want to continue to do, by the way. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you look forward to your suggestions
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the rating although I think you may have been premature in clicking on the icon. Hopefully, I'll deserve it with the following information.

I'm not certain as to what drugs you'll have available to you in the UK as opposed to those here in the States but, hopefully, there will be some commonalities.

1. Use warm water to clean the eyes and nose of any discharge that builds up. Over the counter artificial tears can be used to flush out the eyes.
2. Nasal decongestant drops can be helpful although many cats don’t like them very much as you can imagine. The medicated ones (a-c below) should only be used for three days in a row, with one drop in each nostril; otherwise what’s known as a rebound effect may occur. This is one reason why I prefer "d":

a. Pediatric otrivin=0.05% xylometazoline
b. “Little Noses" Decongestant Nose Drops with phenylephrine hydrochloride
c. Afrin (oxymetazoline)
d. "Little Noses" Saline Spray/Drops non medicated which can be used more than three days in a row.

3. You can place her in a bathroom with hot water running so that the steam can loosen up secretions although this is pretty wasteful. A humidifier can also be used in a small room.

4. Force feeding is sometimes necessary in these cats if they aren’t eating although it sounds like this won't be necessary. But, just in case you might need to supplement her, you can mix canned food (or human baby food but avoid onion and garlic formulations) with a lot of water in a blender and use an eye dropper or syringe to squirt some of this liquid into side of her mouth.

5. Probiotics such as Forti Flora have been shown to help many of these cats with URI's; probiotics aren’t just useful for gastrointestinal issues. This particular product is available as a powder which is sprinkled on the food every day and can be purchased at many pet/grain stores (at least that's true here in the States) or online.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your help I am in such a state I did not realise I had hit a review button will do it again in a moment. You have been very helpful.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

You're more than welcome; glad I could help....and I can understand how you upset you are about her and might have clicked on an icon without intending to do so:)

Best of luck with Daisy. Kind regards, Deb