How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 30784
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now

Our dog has just eaten a small amount of chocolate cake. I

Resolved Question:

hi, our dog has just eaten a small amount of chocolate cake. I caught him in the act and he had no more than a mouthful. He seems to be ok, should we be worried? He weighs around 20kg
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Don't give it a second thought. There isn't nearly the amount of theobromine in the chocolate in one bite to intoxicate a 20 kg dog. To give you an example, a 20 kg dog would need to ingest 15 ounces of pure dark chocolate to intoxicate himself. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin and 3 other Vet Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for putting our minds at rest, have a good night
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

You're quite welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

You may receive an inappropriate follow-up from the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.