Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My old cat seems to have dirty ears and she has considerably

my old cat seems to have dirty ears and she has considerably thinned her fur near her ears ,I presume from scratching. Could you recommend an over the counter product to clean her ears and help regenerate the fur thinning?
Thank you very much.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question about Patches, the best OTC approach would be to flush her ears with luke warm saline (ie OTC first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution, or homemade salt water -- 1tbsp salt to a pint warm water) 2-3 times daily. Afterwards, you can wipe the discharge out with cotton wool (no ear buds). This will be safe to use even if she has a ruptured ear drum (what a vet checks for when examining ears) since using drugs/chemicals in the ears when the drum's status is unknown could cause serious harm. Further to this, since dirt like discharge often is a sign of ear mites, you can have her local vet dispense Advocate or Stronghold for her. If they don't have a recent weight, she may need to pop in to be weighed but this can be dispensed and will help with mild ear mite infections. And once that is settled, the scratching usually stops and the hair can regrow. Though you can use essential fatty acid supplementation (ie omega 3 fish oils, Viacutin, Yumega, etc) to help support the skin and hair and these too are all OTC at most vets, pet stores, and even online.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )