Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My rabbit had baby ones about 7 weeks ago, when I went out

Customer Question

My rabbit had baby ones about 7 weeks ago, when I went out to the hutch one of them was twitching and its head and neck looked as though it was facing the wrong way, then I checked the others and one wasn't moving very much, later they both died and their necks seemed to be bent back. They were running around outside the day before and appeared normal. I have another five from the same litter who at the moment seem ok. Please can you advise me on what has happened as my daughter is distraught. Thankyou
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee ones today.

First, I am very sorry to hear about these two passing. In regards ***** ***** signs, we do have a few concerns. Since two were affected, issues like head trauma, or birth defects would be less likely. Instead, we'd have to be most wary of infectious processes or dietary imbalance. Specifically, we can see this bacterial infection (ie Pasteurella, Pseudomonas, Bordetella, etc) and often with Encephalitozoonosis. As well, these neurological signs can be related to deficiencies in selenium, copper, vitamins A, B, and/or E.

With this all in mind, we do need to tread with care and take steps to protect the rest. Since no others are showing signs, you can start them on an OTC rabbit vitamin/mineral supplement and also have them treated by your local vet with Fenbendazole (ie Panacur). This will help address Encephalitozoon cuniculi infection but do note they tend to need a long course if infection or exposure is suspect. Finally, if you see anymore fall ill (and since rabbits are notorious for giving no warning until they are very poorly), we'd want to have them seen urgently. That will allow your vet to get to the root cause for this situation and ensure we are treating this effectively to protect the litter.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )