Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

1 year old Maltese. Used to be on dog food. My mum started

1 year old Maltese. Used to be on dog food. My mum started giving her human food since we moved home. It has been 3 months. Now I am trying to put my dog back on dog food. Will it make her sick?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today.

If you wean her into the dog food over a period of 1-2 weeks it should not get her sick. Just mix both food together and gradually eliminate the human. It is extremely important that she stops getting human food or she will never eat her dog food.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to only give her dog food for 2 days and now she is having diarrhea. My mum said we should just feed her whatever we cook and eat
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

1- Any blood in the diarrhea?

2- How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No blood but her poop looks bit jelly.
She is 5 kg
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

The jelly is mucus which is a sign of inflammation in the colon. This is what you can do:

1- Pepto Bismol 1 teaspoon every 8 hours for 1-2 days.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet over a period of 1-2 weeks. Keep her indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you Dr Peter
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. :)