Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My budge has a red, swollen lump on s eye, it is pushing s

My budge has a red, swollen lump on his eye, it is pushing his eye ball to one side. He lacks sight in that eye due to a cataract but I don't think the two are related.
I first noticed it as a squint in his eye and a slightly raised lump (but at this point it was the same colour as the rest of his eyelid (healthy grey). It looked different from the other eye so I thought I best get it checked out straight away. The vet prescribed antibiotic eye drops (once a day for 7 days) however they didn't work, in fact the lump became larger and red!
I took budgie back to the vet and they prescribed oral antibiotics (Baytril) and continuation of eye drops for 7 days 2x daily. After just a few days it returned almost to normal (see photo I have attached) but now, two weeks after finishing the course of oral antibiotics, it has returned and it the worst it's been (see second picture I have attached). I've made another appointment with vet but would just like a second opinion as they don't seem to be sure as to what it is.
The lump quite firm to touch and can be moved a bit, it doesn't appear to be painful, there is no pus in eye only a little clear water, cere is clear, breathing, eating, drinking and playing normally and he is his usual cheeky self.
Any advice or guesses as to what it is and what to do next would gratefully be received.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have added two photographs now as it wouldn't let me do it initially, hope you can now see them.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

The "lump" appears to represent a severe conjunctivitis/dacryocystitis (infection of the lacrimal apparatus) which may have abscessed under the inferior eyelid. I can rule out a tumor because the area normalized when a systemic antibiotic was initiated. Have Hedwig's vet culture the eye this time around so you'll know which infectious agents are present and the very best of the antibiotics to give him. Thank you for the good photos! Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.