Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

On Thursday night both my love birds were fine, in morning

on Thursday night both my love birds were fine, in morning found both them dead in there box, they are in the bedroom so no cats get in there, used nothing different ie no fly spray or any spray they were only 16 months old
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

I am very sorry to hear about you loss.

Had any sprays, cigarette smoke, candles, air fresheners, or even teflon use in part of the house?

Had they been quieter or had any eating, drinking, or breathing changes?

Any other signs before they were found dead?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
they were in the bedroom, I did say that no sprays are used and we don't smoke, no candles are used, they were them normal selves, went to bed when the light went out for which they did every night, eating normally, and no breathing problems at all, they were only 16 months old and they were a pair.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello again,

I appreciate you did note that nothing was used in the room, but I did want to determine if we had items used in adjacent airspaces as that would still be a risk for them. Especially since losing 2 at one time suggests airborne or food based toxicity, food contamination (ie fungal), fungal/mold in the room, or a severe virulent infection (less likely).

In any case, with these concerns and since they were without clinical signs to allow us to narrow these down further, it makes working out a cause of death very challenging. In fact, without clues to follow our best option here would to have an autopsy done. This is something your vet can do or they can send their bodies to your local or state labs, or a veterinary school. It will be the most straight forward means of determining their sudden deaths. They will be able to check for gross abnormalities. If they cannot find an obvious cause of death on exam, they can collect samples to submit to the lab for the pathologists to evaluate. The pathologists will be able to examine the tissues under the microscope and determine the causative agent that lead to their death. As well, if needed, toxins can also be tested for to allow you to gain closure for their loss and take steps to protect any future birds (or even yourself if there is an airborne irritant present).

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.