Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I noticed that my Scottish fold male cat (11 months old)

Customer Question

hello. I noticed that my Scottish fold male cat (11 months old) started losing hairs around his eyes and he keeps scratching and cleaning his eyes quite a bit. Please help!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

It's important that his eyes be checked for conjunctivitis - viral, bacterial, or allergic - as well as lid and eyelash abnormalities as the primary cause of his excoriating his periocular areas which is resulting in the alopecia you're seeing. If his eyes can't be incriminated, both feline atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites, etc.) and a food intolerance needs to be important differential diagnoses. You'll need his vet's care for this examination and how best to address your Scottish fold. For now, keep his eyes as clean as possible by removing any discharge in or around his eyes using saline or artificial tears.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I will take him to the vet tomorrow evening.

You're quite welcome. I'm pleased to hear that he'll be attended to promptly. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.