Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My cat appears to have a lump under one side of s throat. He

My cat appears to have a lump under one side of his throat. He has recently had a weepy eye and when he went to the vet there was a tick in his eyelid. He has been having a cream put in his eye. I have noticed this lump in the last couple of days.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has this been present?

How old is your cat?

Is it on the throat (mid way down the neck) or under the jaw?

Does the lump have a scab on it?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can and post them, it will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paper clip icon above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, just post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me follow.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My cat is 3 years. I have noticed it in the last few days. There is no scab just feels hard where I think his neck gland is and much more pronounced than the other side.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is under his jaw on the right side.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Just since you noted the neck gland, do you think this is a different lump and not that gland?

Is this on the same side as the affected eye?

Any drooling or oral issues at the moment?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No drooling and he is eating fine. The lump is under the jaw feels like where his lymph nodes would be. Swollen and hard but just on the right side.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Same side as his eye had the infection.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do you think this is an emergency or should I book an appointment with vet next week
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

If he hasn't any breathing issues with this, its not an emergency.

Based on where this is, I suspect its actually the lymph node (where the other lump in that area is the normal sized salivary gland, since they sit next to each other). And given that it is on the same side, its likely just enlarged because the body is stimulated by that recent tick bite. So, I would not be worried here and just advise monitoring. If it doesn't reduce by the eye of his treatment course, then we'd want to have this checked. But again it just sounds like lymph node is responding to the tick bite.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Have a great day,

Dr. B.