Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683

My dog has had very loose poos last two days and has been

my dog has had very loose poos for the last two days and has been sick now. however in the last ten minutes is lying in his bed and his whole body is shacking
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

2- What was in the vomit?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- Any pre existing medical conditions?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
we don't know if he's earn anything out of the ordinary .. As for vomit light brown vomit bile he weighs about 10 KG . No existing conditions . breathing seems ok , he feels cold , but body is shacking

1- Can you take his rectal temperature?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it is 39.2c

Friend, his temperature is on the high end of normal, thank you. Please give me a few minutes to type your answer.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
seems to be having some involuntary movements now of the legs

Friend, vomiting and loose stool can be caused by many different medical conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, pancreatitis, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. The shaking could be a sign of discomfort.

In this case, to determine the exact underlying cause Jax will need a hands on examination by family veterianarian, xrays and blood work as initial screening test. In the meantime, in any case of vomiting or loose stool the first thing to do is give the gastrointestinal tract time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours or Zantac (raniditine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC or Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Note: If you are seeing muscle spasms I would have him checked by ER veterinarian, this could be a sign of electrolyte disturbances.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.