Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat has just been diagnosed with diskospondilitis, if he

Customer Question

My cat has just been diagnosed with diskospondilitis, if he smacked puppy (highly likely) could he pass onto puppy ?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Discospondylitis is most commonly seen in medium- to giant-breed male dogs with greatest risk for dogs over 10 years of age. It is an uncommon infection in small-breed dogs and cats. To answer you directly, however, no, this inflammation/infection of the intervertebral disk and the adjacent endplates and vertebral bodies is usually caused by Staphylococcal bacteria and casual contact with the puppy won't spread these bacteria to it. There are quite a few possible original sources of the bacteria, however, and those sources might also affect a puppy - the urinary tract of the cat, infection within the heart and dental disease, for example.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.