Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 5 month old puppy has had very sticky saliva 3 days. She

Customer Question

Hello, my 5 month old puppy has had very sticky saliva for about 3 days. She has had fluids to is not dehydrated. She seems OK otherwise xx
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, while sticky gums can be a sign of dehydration; dogs are allowed to have sticky saliva from time to time. This is likely due to the warm weather, a less than ideal water intake, and potentially the hide chew (as it is a dry product that absorbs their saliva when they chew thus leading it to get soft and the saliva to thicken as you are seeing).

So, we'd not be worried if Sophie is otherwise well, hasn't any skin tenting nor sunken eyes. All we'd need to do here is encourage her to drink but also potentially remove her access to the chew to allow her saliva to thin once again if you wish. Though as long as she hasn't those other signs, then this isn't strictly necessary and we can just keep an eye on her generally.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )