Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

One of our a6 month old dwarf rabbits has been biting and

One of our a6 month old dwarf rabbits has been biting and scratching the other randomly. After a while, we seperated them but a nasty attack occured today while we were out and one now has nasty bite marks, scratches and missing fur on one hindquarter. She has calmed well but I can't get her to let me check to see if they are deep or not. There is no vet open till Monday morning and I would like to know if I should get an emergency appointment or just keep a close eye on her till Monday am? Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your quesiton, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you. I have a question before I can help you properly. Can you see muscle or pink tissue though any of the skin wounds?

Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can see some pink but she won't let me look at it closely. She is a very nervous animal at the best of times but is obviously terrified now!
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

If you can't check it then I do think the safest thing to do is have the emergency vet check it. Rabbit bites with the front teeth can go very deep and cause damage or trap infection. The wounds should be cleaned properly and if done so quickly then antibiotics and other expenseive problems can be avoided. If you are able to control her to look and the wounds are just superferficial (no pink muscle showing throug) then simple soap and warm water washing is all that is needed. I'd suggest seeing the vet now given the circumstances and her nervousness. It could save a lot of hassle, stress and money later. If you are able to clean the wounds DO NOT put human over the counter antibiotic ointment on the wound, if she were to eat this it can and often does creat e a fatal diarrhea. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more quesitons, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** try and do that now. We had enquired from our local vet about whether getting them spayed would reduce the fighting but they are hesitant to operate because they are dwarf and the % survival rate from anaesthetic is less than 50% Is this correct as they are more large animal vets..
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

They are correct that behavior problems are significantly reduced with being spayed. They themselves may have a 50% survival rate but that indicates to me that they do not feel confident in this surgery and are not using current protocols. I'd try to find a vet who is comfortable, when you do that person will have a success rate the same as cats and dogs. We operate on rabbits of all sizes and have never yet lost a healthy rabbit and most sick rabbits do fine as well. I feel with current protocols survival rate is 95% or higher.

Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great thank you. Will try and get her through this first and then proceed with spaying. Thank you so much for your help at this unsociable hour!