Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have an old rat whose back legs are totally paralysed, he

I have an old rat whose back legs are totally paralysed, he also has a tumor behind one of his eyes. He is on metacam at the moment to ease the pain. However, I don't know whether I should just let him carry on or to put him down. He is still eating and drinking and does like it when I massage him but he doesn't like to be out of his cage for long, it's just heart breaking seeing him struggle.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Nuggert. I spoke to my pet rat Little BrownTurd and she told me that Nuggert's quality of life isn't acceptable for a rat. He's likely to be in chronic pain and anxious due to that pain and inability to do the rat things he used to be able to do. She and I believe that euthanasia would be a kindness.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.