Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

Unitary infections build up of crystals

unitary infections build up of crystals
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Can he still pass urine?

What tests have been done? Is he on any treatment?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he has had these signs for two days. He can still pass urine and no test have been done thus far. He had similar problems a few years ago and I was told the problem then was due to a build up of crystals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Charlie has just had a wee in my downstairs loo - when he is well he never wees indoors. The wee was a small amount and brownish in colour.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Now urinary tract infections are due to bacteria causing infection; not crystals. That said, urinary crystals can build up to cause bladder stones, to irritate the urinary tract (which can lead to inappropriate urination as you are seeing and secondary infections) as well as act as blockages in the urethra. Just to note, if he stops being able to pass normal streams of urine at any point, a blockage is a worry and it is an emergency situation that would need to be tended to urgently.

With all this in mind, if you are aware that is is prone to crystals, then we'd want to have him seen urgently. We would want his vet to make sure there are no stones or blockages. As well, they can analyze a urine sample for what type of crystal is present and determine if there is infection present. Infection can be treated with antibiotics. And once they know what crystal is present, they can start him on a special diet (low in the precursors that his body is making the crystal from) to reduce any future risk of crystals. As well, since his urinating our of the box is likely related to the pain of one of the above issues, they can of course start him on cat safe pain relief and treatment to reduce bladder inflammation.

Overall, I am very glad to hear that he can urinate since crystal blockages are cat emergencies. Still, with what you have reported, we have some serious concerns here. And if the urine is brown that does suggest potential infection but also possible scant blood discoloring the urine. Therefore, we'd would want to have him seen today if possible to get to the root of this and get him comfortable and treated before there is any chance of blockage.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )