Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 1 year old springer spaniel seems to have conjunctivitis.

Hello. My 1 year old springer spaniel seems to have conjunctivitis. One eye is red with a little discharge- he's otherwise well and happy. He's often rummaging around in the hedgerows but I can't see anything in it and he doesn't seem bothered by it. Do I watch and wait or seek treatment? I'm keeping it clean.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, as long as there is no haze/clouding over the cornea (corneal inflammation), no swelling of the eyeball or the tissues around it, no regions of the clear corneal layer that doesn't appear shiny (often where ulcers or lacerations are), and that tearing is clear; then we can choose to monitor and use supportive care at this stage. Of course, any of those signs or if the discharge becomes snotty (a sign of bacteria), then we'd want Barney to be seen by his vet.

In regards ***** ***** for the moment, you can choose to flush the eye with eye-safe saline. This can be purchased over the counter as plain contact lens solution or first aid eye wash. This can be used 2-3 times daily to flush any irritants or bacteria from the eye. If he seems to want to rub the eye, then he will need to wear an e-collar from your local pet store to prevent this.

Overall, we do need to tread with care when we have issues involving the eyes since they are so delicate. Still, as long as you aren't seeing those warning signs, we can try a bit of supportive care while keeping a close eye. Of course, if his signs linger, then we'd want to have him seen so that his vet can stain the eye for ulcers and dispense eye drops to settle this for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. There's no clouding, the discharge looks a bit pusy but less than yesterday. I'll keep monitoring for now and use the saline eye wash. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad to hear that you aren't seeing any of those more sinister signs. Though if the discharge looks like pus, then that does increase concerns of bacterial conjunctivitis. So, we would want to flush those bacteria out but if he doesn't settle over the weekend, then we'd want the local vet to dispense antibiotic eye drops to nip this in the bud for Barney.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you. I'll make an appointment on Monday if Barney still has it.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

That sounds like a perfect plan of action. :)

Have a lovely weekend,

Dr. B.