Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I bleached my floors with diluted bleach last night and i

I bleached my floors with diluted bleach last night and i left it to dry without rinsing. I didn't think about it. This afternoon i remembered i hadn't rinsed the floors and now i'm worried about myself picking up dry bleach and walking it into family's houses who have pets. Is it possible that i could harm them this way?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I can understand you concern for the pets whose homes you might enter after walking across bleached floors that you've cleaned but I hope to be able to reassure you that this isn't going to pose a problem for them...for a number of reasons.

First, the cleaned areas have dried. It's typically only the exposure to or ingestion of damp or wet bleach that might present a problem for our pets.

Second, the bleach was diluted which means that there is even less of a concern since it's not full strength to which they might be exposed.

Third, not enough of the bleach will adhere to your shoes which then could be transferred into the homes with pets. Whatever small amount which might adhere to the bottom of your shoes will likely be removed before you even enter their homes.

You're a good person to worry about possible harm you might cause to pets, but it's there isn't any risk to them that I can see.

I hope this helps to provide peace of mind. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Deb, i appreciate your prompt response and kind words. It's the first time if used bleach and the other reason i'm worrying is because i don't know if the dilution was still too strong. I put in, roughly, 80ml and 2 litres of water (boiling water as well, silly I know). Again is this concentration too high and would it cause issues?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

You're more than welcome.

This dilution factor isn't too strong; it still shouldn't cause any issues...which at worst might be gastrointestinal in nature but typically only if the product was ingested. Once it's dried, it's a non-issue. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr. Deb. Have a good evening.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

My pleasure; glad I could help:)

And, thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

Hope your evening is a good one, too. Kind regards, Deb