Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

We suspect our cat has been stung by a bee. She seems a

We suspect our cat has been stung by a bee. She seems a little quiet but has just eaten her food. We cant see the sting anywhere but believe it to be on ger front right leg as she was licking the area shortly after. What should we do?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for your cat. I'm not surprised that you can't find a stinger since they rarely are left behind in dogs and cats; at least I've never been able to find one.

Unless her leg or where she may have been stung is swollen or appears irritated, you don't really have to do anything. However, if the area becomes a little swollen, then over the counter (at least here in the States) Diphenhydramine can be given at a dose of 1 mg per pound of body weight up to 2-3 times a day. For the average 10 lb cat, this calculates to be about 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet.

Other antihistamines may work as well; if you provide me with their names, I can provide the dosage amount.

I hope this helps. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. We have cetirizine hydrochloride in the house, will that work?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.

It might. The dose would be 5 mg once or twice a day.

Deb