Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

I have a Hedgehog that has adopted my inner city garden in

Customer Question

I have a Hedgehog that has adopted my inner city garden in Everton.Liverpool
No slug pellets in use
It seems fairly healthy,. I give it meal worms and cat food (non fish) varieties and fresh water.plus whatever it catches in the garden.my two cats ignore it,and it tries to chew my feet.
One thing I have noticed is that it keeps turning as though it is disorientated.
Should I take it to a vet to be checked or should I leave well alone.
Kevin Mills
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

When you say it turns, does it do so all of the time? Can it go the other way?

Does it tend to circle in one direction?

Any head tilting or wobbliness?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT appears to turn clockwise,head tilted slightly to the right,,but no apparent wobbliness.
It gets around the garden ok,with a stilted walk.
It's feet are all ok,
Could it be partially deaf or blind in one eye.
Though on checking both eyes appear fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
See photo of hedgehog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

Now based on those further signs, they do actually suggest that this poor lad isn't well. Head tilting and circling in one direction are signs we ca seen with middle ear infections but also brain lesions (ie bleeds or swelling if he has had a head trauma, but can also be related to protozoal/bacterial/viral meningitis). So, with these signs, we really would want this poor wee lad seen. His local vet can start treatment for those infectious issues +/- give anti-inflammatories to add to his food to reduce any inflammation in the brain or middle ear and give him the best chance of settling here.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )