Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I think my cat may have broken s leg. He cannot put weight

I think my cat may have broken his leg. He cannot put weight on it and his paw is an unusual shape. Should I take him to a vet this evening or can it wait until the morning?
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for your cat. I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first if you don't mind:

1. How long has his leg been like this?

2. Is he eating and drinking?

3. Is he excessively vocalizing or meowing when he walks on his other three legs?

There may be a slight delay after I receive your answers since I have to type up a response to you. Thanks for your patience. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Dr Deb-thank you for the quick reply. I have just returned from work and found him like this. I do not know when he hurt himself during the day. He had a small amount to eat this evening. He does not seem to be in great distress but will not let me pick him up. His paw is a strange shape but not bleeding.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is not excessively vocalizing or meowing when he walks on his other 3 legs.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the answers to my questions and the additional information.

It's certainly possible that he has sustained a fracture but it's equally possible that he's developed an abscess or infection. Since it doesn't sound as if he's in great distress, you probably can wait until tomorrow to have him seen. I don't want to minimize what may be going on with him but cats are pretty amazing when it comes to handling injuries to their bodies.

If you decide to wait, just make sure he's isolated in a space where he can't further injure himself such as a small bedroom or bathroom.

I wouldn't advise any over the counter medications such as Aspirin (as I would for a dog), since cats are overly sensitive to many of these products which might cause more harm...the last thing we'd want.

If the injury appears to be localized to his foot/paw, then you could soak it for 5-10 minutes (if he'll let you, that is) in a warm Epsom Salt bath which may be soothing.

I hope this helps and that nothing too serious is going on with him. Deb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Deb- great to get your support so quickly.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

You're more than welcome and thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated/

Best of luck with your cat. Kind regards, Deb