Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My 7 and a half month old basenji puppy was castrated a

Hi, my 7 and a half month old basenji puppy was castrated a month ago and had a couple of stitches in a small umbilical hernia at the same time. He had a t-shirt/baby grow to wear afterwards. He then developed a red brown rash around his genital area and the folds of his back legs and was given a course of antibiotics which seemed to vastly reduce it. He was on the Noroclav for five days and the course finished around two weeks ago. However the rash appears to have returned and he is licking the area (not obsessively but enough to be paying it more attention that usual) as well as scratching the backs of his ears, hind quarters and neck (this I feel is more to do with him having sensitive skin and being targeted by insects in the fields when we go walking). I have taken pictures of the rash that I can send you as this will explain it far better than I can(!) and just wanted a second opinion really. Many thanks, Mandy
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Are you seeing any pimples, pustules or crusting here?

Did it fully clear with the antibiotics?

Since you noted photos, can you post those for me? To do so, you can use the paper clip icon above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, just post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me follow.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Dr B. Thanks for your reply. There are no pimples or pustules or even broken skin. Even the wound site from his hernia stitches doesn't look 'irritated'. It's purely this discolouration really. I would say after the antibiotics it went away 90% and I just thought the mild discolouration that was still present was due to where Flash had been licking and that it was on its way out. I've attached a picture for you as promised and will look forward to hearing from you again soon ��
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Now based on the skin appearance and no sign of those bacterial infection changes I asked about, I would be more suspicious that Flash's current signs are related to a diffuse allergy. This could be related to something in your house (ie carpet powders, laundry soap, dust mites, etc) but could also be related to diet, grasses or pollens. Just to note, the dark discoloration appears to just be hyperpigmentation, which is just a sign that the skin has been irritated for a while.

With this all in mind, since he isn't severely itchy, you could trial him on an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Piriton/Chlorphenamine ( 4-8mg every 8-12 hours) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We do like to keep the dose low to start since it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, these shouldn't be used if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Of course,if he does become very irritated, then we could have his vet use a strong anti-inflammatory to soothe this for him.

Overall, without those skin changes I noted, this looks more suspicious of an allergic irritation. So we'd want to block his access to these area since licking will just introduce bacteria to cause infection but otherwise try the above to see if we can soothe his signs and settle this rash.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you so much. I did have him on piriton for a couple of weeks but didn't think it was having much of an effect but when I think about it, he was on that at the same time as he antibiotics so maybe it was the piriton just keeping his allergy at bay enough. Will pop him back on it and keep an eye on how he does. Would e45 or sudocrem be a good topical soother for it in the meantime?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

You are very welcome,

I would put him back on to see if we can get this settled. I'd avoid those creams at this point but you could apply an OTC hydrocortisone cream to those irritated areas to settle his irritation.

Best wishes,

Dr. B

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.