Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My cat gave birth 4 days ago although since yesterday she

Customer Question

Hi my cat gave birth 4 days ago although since yesterday she has started hiding kittens I put this down to having another female cat in the house although she seems to be leaving them a lot more and today she has started panting and behaving strange as though she's in labour
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

If superfecundation (bred more than once over a period of days) occurred, it's possible that a late breeding is just now coming to fruition and that she may be in labour once again. The most expedient manner in which to determine if this is, indeed, the case is to have her vet palpate Whiskas's abdomen. Depending upon her overall health, "watchful waiting" might be recommended or, instead, a caesarian or spaying performed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her behaviour has changed since last night she wants to hide the kittens more and us moving away to be on her more until last night she hardly left the kittens
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also one of the kittens died yesterday could this have anything to do with it do you think I need to take her to a vet

That would be consistent with impending labour but it's also seen with mothers who have other things on their mind; in other words, mothers who aren't as good a mother as other mums.

Approximately 20% of neonatal cats die for a variety of reasons. The kitten's death isn't necessarily related to its mum's behavior. Yes, I think it would be smart to have her and the kittens examined if only for the usual post-partum exam vets recommend. This will give the vet the opportunity to carefully palpate your cat's abdomen for another kitten. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have another female cat which Is also pregnant I have tried to keep it away from her and the babies she doesn't seem in any pain with the panting although I'm am rather concerned about her change in behaviour and don't want her to hurt the kittens
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's seem really stressed

Your other pregnant cat could certainly be a significant stressor to Whiskas and that cat should be kept away from Whiskas even to the point of confining Whiskas to an area that can't be accessed by other cats. A physical exam by her vet is likely to assuage your concerns. At this time we can only conjecture what's going on in your complicated cat conundrum.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is upstairs in my bedroom now with the door shut although before this she chose to be downstairs which made it really hard to keep the cat away but last night she decided to hide em and doesn't want em downstairs anymore she was a good mother to them until last night then she had a sudden behaviour change

It may have been a sudden change but it's not necessarily abnormal. Cats move their kittens around when a perceived danger exists.