Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Why is my 11 year old labrador shaking?

why is my 11 year old labrador shaking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It started at about 1pm today, and is now 7pm. He hasn't eaten his food but can walk around, doesn't seem noticeably distressed but shakes/tremors quite heavily every 3-10 seconds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is epileptic, and does have bad arthritis...but this does not seem like fits or seizures that he has normally had
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Shaking and trembling are usually indications of pain, anxiety, or the anxiety associated with pain. We do see such behavior as part of partial seizures and Bisley's history of epilepsy shouldn't be discounted out of hand. If this is the case, the frequency of these events suggests clustering (more than one seizure within a 24 hour period) and this can presage status epilepticus - the state in which his brain remains over-excited and in those cases I need to heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. Please consider having Bisley attended to by an on-call vet. He concerns me for a patient that can acutely worsen and I'd like to be proactive with him.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be something to do with his kidneys?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've read that that could be a cause...

Chronic renal insufficiency at Bisley's age will manifest mainly as anorexia, polydipsia (increased thirst), and polyuria (increased volume of urine). It's certainly something I see at his age but doesn't explain his current behavior. I can't rule out his passing a urinary stone, however, but I would expect to see his straining to urinate if that were the case. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How come he is able to sleep though? I would have thought if he was uncomfortable he wouldnt be able to sleep

Dogs often sleep as default behavior when they're ill/uncomfortable and in terms of seizure activity, sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) behavior.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you

You're welcome. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.