Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Small maltese birthed one breech pup, unfortuneately died

Customer Question

small maltese bitch birthed one breech pup, unfortuneately died during birth. still born pup born at 2:05pm today, is there likely to be any more pups?
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

If this is your gal's first litter, there is a possibility that she may only have one. That being said, there is also a possibility that there may be one or others that will need to come. These may come normally, if they are there but the safest thing for you, if possible, is to have your vet xray or Ultrasound to determine if more puppies are coming. That way, you can be prepared if another does come breach and you may be able to save others. Since this is a weekend, you may just have to watch her for signs of an impending delivery. She will have some greenish discharge after the first puppy which is normal so do not worry. Watch for her to start pushing as if there is another puppy.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
already done this. i am not satisfied with this answer

I am so sorry....with this process, all you can do is wait and see or go to your vet for an Ultrasound to determine if there are any more puppies. If there are, your vet can give an injection to remove the remaining puppies under your vets supervision to be sure they are all viable. Really not much else to do....