Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My cat has started falling over, and is making slightly

Customer Question

My cat has started falling over, and is making slightly jerky head movements. It looks as if she may have had a slight stroke. She only has three legs, but is usually stable.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Lyn,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Lyn,

Sorry to hear Daisy has this problem, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Where a cat is showing these symptoms such as incoordination and head tremors then it is indeed possible that this is a basic neurological problem such as a slight stroke or even other brain lesions such as tumours. However these symptoms can also occur on a secondary basis where a cat has the likes of kidney disease or liver disease, and also consider much less serious conditions such as middle ear disease.

2. What to do about it? : Sadly there is just nothing useful I can suggest as a home remedy where cats present like this. All you can hope to do is just to keep her comfortable and reassured for present and then have her checked over by your local vet at the first possible opportunity.

3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Daisy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.