How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 20262
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now

Are Lillie's poisonous

Customer Question

Are Lillie's poisonous for cats
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Gwen,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with cats and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Gwen,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. The answer is yes, lilies are known to be very toxic to cats if any part of the plant is swallowed and it can cause kidney failure in the species, even rubbing against lilies and getting pollen on their fur can cause toxicity problems when they then swallow some while cleaning themselves afterwards. It is best not to have lilies in a house where there are cats.

2. I will give you a link to an accurate article which covers this toxicity in more detail : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou for your reply, I have a large vase of stargazer lillies that ate still in bud. I have just discovered my cat drinking furiously from the vase. Now very worried, what should I look out for or be aware of if he has poisoned himself.
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Gwen,

Well in my experience the initial signs of lily toxicity in the cat can include such things as lethargy, inappetance, vomiting and drooling.

Hopefully the water is not so contaminated, but you should get rid of the lilies now, and then just monitor your cat. However if you want to take every precaution then you may want to contact your local vet as they will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs and get rid of the potentially contaminated water that way.

Here is a link on the Stargazer Lilies page on the ASPCA poisonous plants database : LINK

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

By the way inducing vomiting should be carried out within the first hour or so after ingestion ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again, as its 3 o'clock in the morning here, would you think that if he's not showing symptoms yet, I could keep my eye on him for the rest of the night and decide whether to go to the vet in the morning. He seems quite normal at the moment?
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hi Gwen,

Well it does not follow as night follows day that he got a serious toxic dose from the water, but there is a recognised risk from Lily species.

As we are now moving out of the time frame where inducing vomiting would be of use you best plan is just to observe him for present and then contact a vet if any adverse symptoms occur.

I am in a very different time zone to you so I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Mojo's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo and other Vet Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Gwen,

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go with Mojo ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is absolutely fine, many thanks for following up. I kept him with me for the rest of that night . He drank and ate as per normal. He slept well and yesterday was up and scratching to go out. I was so relieved. He is such a mad cat. I have 3 and they are all Birmans one sister and two brothers. Mojo is the biggest and greediest! I think he probably only has a couple of lives left out of the 9, he is just so daft!. He has been to pet hospital 3 times in his life - he had a disagreement with a van, he had an allergic reaction to an injection and he got himself trapped under the bowl of a birdbath, which must have fallen on him. He was dehydrated, had hypothermia and bruised kidney, by the time we found him. So I was quite concerned about the lily episode. Anyway your advice and expertise helped me through - thanks again for that. Best wishes Gwen
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hi Gwen,

Great news!!!

Regards,

Dr Scott