Dr. B.
Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience:  General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
60269376

My West ghland Terrier Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide

My West Highland Terrier
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: Yes thank you. My Westie suffers wittyh colitis and skin problems, however, he know seems to be licking his lips all of the time and I wonder why
Assistant: Brilliant. Thank you. I'll now take you to a secure page to place your deposit with JustAnswer. Once the deposit is received, we'll continue helping you with your question.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, lip licking tends to be a nausea sign in dogs. If he is on any antibiotics or steroids for his health issues, these could cause low grade nausea here. Otherwise, since your lad has colitis, we do often see the inflammation in the colon can actually trigger the vomiting centre of the brain. So, this could also be a mild side effect of the colitis.

Now if it is excessive and you did want to try soothe this, you could try an OTC antacid (ie Zantac, Milk of Magnesia, Calcium carbonate with him) or speak to his vet about having an anti-nausea medication dispensed (which may be ideal if he is on any other medications) to see if we can settle this for him.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello Dr B, my westie already has zantac syrup prescribed by our vet. he has also had a short course of omeprazole, which didn't seem to help. Our vet has also done some blood tests which were all normal. He has had steroid injections and antibiotics in the past for his skin problems. This almost constant licking has been going on for some while and seems to be getting worse.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
PS: He is also on a good diet - he eats 'Lily's Kitchen' grain free dog food, a mix of wet and dry.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello again,

This breed is notorious for skin issues and are often a challenge since we can see non-specific atopic dermatitis with them. If the treatments you have noted have not helped in the past with his skin, you may want to think about allergy testing (with a few to using immune therapy against his trigger allergens) or at least have his vet trial him on an immune modulating drug like Atopica or Apoquel (both tend to be better options then long term steroid use since they haven't the same long term effects).

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** nausea, if he hasn't responded to either of those antacids then you may need his vet to trial an actual anti-nausea medication (ie Cerenia, Metoclopramide, Zofran). Or you may even want to discuss endscopy (where they use a scope with a camera to examine the stomach and intestine) +/- gut biopsy to make sure that he doesn't have an underlying Helicobacter gastritis, esophagitis, stomach ulcer, etc. that is being missed here.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you Dr B. Sorry I omitted to say my Westie is on a daily dose of Apoquel. We also have Maloseb for regular bathing. We keep on top of his skin problems as best we can. It is the licking that concerns me greatly so thought I would ask you before making a further appointment with our vet as we have had many visits lately and don't seem to be getting anywhere with this problem! Maybe I should ask for anti-sickness meds as you suggest.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome,

I am glad to hear that you are using those as well, since I completely agree that we do need to keep on top of chronic skin issues. Otherwise, since they have seen a lot of him, do consider ringing about a trial on an actual anti-nausea medication. Otherwise, if this persists, scoping would be ideal (perhaps you could even choose to have him seen by an internal medicine specialist for that) to actually get to the root of where the issue is so that we can properly address if for your lad.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Oh yes and also, we tried a while without Apoquel to see if it was that causing nausea - it made no difference to licking but skin broke out again so we put him back on it.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome,

All the best,

Dr. B.

PS- I am glad it didn't, since otherwise that could be a deal breaker for using it (though I find more dogs are gut sensitive to the Atopica as opposed to the Apoquel).

Dr. B., Board Certified Veterinarian
Experience: General practice veterinary surgeon with extensive experience in a wide range of species.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. I'll give our vets a ring..........or make another appointment concerning trialling ant-nausea meds. Thank you very much for your help and advice.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 8 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear. :)

Have a lovely day,

Dr. B.