How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Peter Your Own Question
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Category: Vet
Satisfied Customers: 31407
Experience:  16 years of small animal internal medicine, surgery and preventive medicine.
25161683
Type Your Vet Question Here...
Dr. Peter is online now

My dog ate raisins.

Customer Question

my dog ate raisins.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Vet
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does your dog weigh?

2- How many raisins did he/she eat?

3- How long has it been since eat the raisins?

4- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thanks for the reply. I am afraid I has been a while since she has been weighed. She is 7 months old.
I think she ate about 5-6 raisins, I panicked last night and everyone at work laughed about it and told me stories of all the things their dog has eaten, but I got up this morning and she has vomited. It looks like thick vomit and not watery. I can't see any raisins in there. Her stool is normal, it's not diarreah. Its now hitting the 32 hour mark since she ate them. She still seems fine and happy and runs around during walks. She had a very long sleep this morning but she always does that. I thinks it's too late to induce vomiting now. What should I do?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, raisins are toxic to dogs as you already know so make sure you let your friends at work know that this is no laughing matter. Toxicity is very dependent on the amount consumed and weight of the dog. The lowest toxic dose reported in dogs to cause acute renal failure is 0.11 oz/kg. If you can get a weight on her to calculate her toxic dose and see if she is at risk for renal failure would be fantastic. You are right, it is too late to induce vomiting at this point we first need to find out the toxic dose. I will be waiting on her weight.