Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Why does my horse loose part of its mane in the summer, it

Customer Question

Why does my horse loose part of its mane in the summer, it does not rub it and it does not have sweetitch, it is now sore it just falls out about 1 foot from the withers, and a little bit at the top of the mane. it is washed every 1-2 weeks. He is out in the field in the morning from 7-10 am otherwise in the stable.
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is hard to know why Denby looses his mane in these places every summer since there is nothing itching these areas. It may be that he has a hypothyroid condition that centers in this area or that he has a form of mange or parasite that sticks in this area. I would have your vet check Denby's thyroid function and be sure to worm him with an Ivermectin wormer that would kill off any parasites. If this does not show anything, your vet can run a biopsy on these areas that may or may not show anything. This may be a hereditary condition specific for Denby that has no treatment.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****