Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years with dogs, cats, exotic, wildlife and zoo animals, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My west ghland was neutured on Friday but has not pooed

My west highland bitch was neutured on Friday but has not pooed since. She is eating and drinking normally and seems happy in herself. She's not showing any signs of discomfort. I'm only concerned that she hasn't pooed since Friday morning?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

You don't need to be worried at this point. Anesthetics can sometimes slow down transit of feces and this can be normal. It can be normal for no stools up to 72 hours or longer. It is not wise to give stool softeners or enemas. We only need to be worried if her appetite drops, or she starts vomiting due to being nauseas. If she continues to be perfectly normal then we don't need to worry about no stool. It will come it just takes time. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating.

Dr. Dan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay hopefully she will go later. She's weeing normally which I believe is more important.Also, she was not given a collar because she flipped out in the vets when they put it on her so I'm just monitoring her. Should I be putting any cream or anything on it? It looked very slightly red but then I know it is a new wound.I've only ever had males she is my first bitch.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

I would avoid the cream as it will likely bring her attention to the wound more and possibly cause her to lick the cream off.

You are correct mild redness is normal, but weeping yellow or foul smelling fluid is not, so if that occurs that's a warning sign too. It sounds like she's acting pretty normally post surgery.

FYI, I have to sign off here but will be back to answer any further questions you might have in about 2 hours or so. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for all your help. She's barking at other dogs already so seems to have perked up a bit :)
Hopefully she'll be all good :)
Thanks again!
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

You are quite welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She's recently pooed normally! Thank goodness!
I wish she would stop leaping around! I hope she continues to improve ������
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 1 year ago.

That's great!